Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Bowl

Please tell me.  I just have to know.

What is it with the bowl-shaped haircut that we always give them to little boys?

I know this isn't a universal thing but it IS common, specially where I'm from.  As soon as the boy reaches a certain age when his hair has started to thicken out --ta-daaa!-- bowl haircut takes over.

Is it like a right of passage for little boys?  Is it like you have not truly moved on from babyhood to boyhood unless you get the bowl?

I hear some old-timers say that this is the way to grow out baby hair.  And why do we need to grow out baby hair?  Because if you cut them off too soon, the hair will 'feel bad' and 'grow bad'.  Ooohkaaay...  

I hear some people say that the bowl is done because it looks so darn cute.  Looking like you're wearing a Stormtrooper helmet for the rest of your toddler life is cute?  Hmm... whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Some say it's...tradition.  Uh, come again?  When is a preference for a 'do a tradition?  I'm told (and yes, i had the gall to ask!) that their dads sported the said popular hairstyle in their youth, so it's only fitting for the next generation to experience it as well.  Oooh... like a family heirloom! 

I mean, why is that when I announced that I wanted to cut my boys' hair short when they were toddlers, I got the glare?  And was promptly told, "They're still children.  Give them big boy's hair when they've become big boys!"???

Just so we're clear, I'm not complaining.  Just incessantly wondering.  Admit it, the mystery of the bowl-shaped haircut's roots (pun absolutely intended) is indeed baffling.  

But, hey, it looked good on my boys anyway. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment