Sunday, August 18, 2013

What The Conjuring Didn't Conjure

I would call The Conjuring your Demonic Possession + Exorcism Starter Kit.
Not too flashy, not too creepy --it can be the first film you use if you want to introduce your children to the macabre side of film making. Of course, not too many parents would actually do that. But I did. And my boys were like, "That's it?"

The poster was cool though. Hands down. And the hype that went with it certainly got me excited and scared at the same time. But yeah, being a Horror flick geek, it was kind of a let down for me. I know that's being unfair. It's just that I'm grossly exposed to Asian Horror (read:  The Ring, Ju-on, Tale of Two Sisters, and so much more) that prides itself for its excellent command of suspense and impeccable  use of SFX.  I'm also a fan of Paranormal Activity's brilliant editing.  And The Exorcist's spot-on acting, disgustingly perfect make-up, and shocking script. In The Conjuring, the demon never even cussed.

It had its moments though. I thought the sleepwalking girl perpetually knocking her head on the closet was cool.  The freaky doll, Anabelle (Chuckie's cousin, me thinks), had time to shine. I would've liked it better if she was the focal point of the story. The demon combing her hair while sitting in a rocking chair was admittedly, chillingly awesome. Sadly, Anabelle was just a side story.
However, the end did hint on a part 2 --so her potential might just resurface. That is, if THIS will even be allowed a part 2.

So yeah.

But don't take the word or the biased judgment of a frightening film fanatic. Watch The Conjuring so you don't miss a thing. Just do me one tiny favor. If you're watching on DVD, push play at exactly 3:07am. Thank you.

Final word: Still, nobody does demonic possession quite like you do, Regan. Nobody. *slow clap*
(You have no idea how terrified I was while uploading this photo. Lol!)

No comments:

Post a Comment